Saturday, March 5, 2011

{Wedding} Ring-a-ding-ding


The Chemist* and I met in September of 2009, the day before labor day. About one week prior, purely on impulse, I had signed up for a free dating website. Within days, The Chemist and I wereexchanging messages and had made plans for our first date that Sunday. And then our second date that Thursday. And the rest, my dears, is history.

The Chemist has his PhD from a snooty university on the west coast that "shall remain nameless," but he is the most humble and kind person I know. The night before my final day of medical school in September and after dating for just over one year, he proposed and we were engaged.

Now, it's been almost six months since that proposal date. The good news is that we have a wedding date (it's been set for nearly as long). The bad news is that it isn't until June of 2012. Why so long? Well, in the complicated world of medical residency matching, it isn't as simple as interviewing at a program, getting accepted and then going there. So I didn't know then---and still don'tknow---where I will be a resident, so I wanted to wait until I was nearing the end of my intern year, giving me as much time to adjust to my new way of life.

My engagement ring is nearly identical to the picture above. And I've also picked out my dress, which is shown at left. I'm nearly thirty now, and will be well past that by the time I get married, so the days of poufy, sparkly, strapless beaded nightmares are over. This is the era of a simple silk dress, with hand-made accessories.

I'm also making my own invitations, centerpieces, handbags for bridesmaids, favors, cake-topper and even the bridesmaids dresses will be homemade. And I'll take you through that as I go, starting with glass pearl jewelry with varied materials and diameters for interest.

But that will wait for another day.


Signed,

Majin, MD


*The Chemist may also be known as "My fiance" or "Dr. Mr. Dr. Majin." As you were.

No comments:

Post a Comment