Wednesday, March 9, 2011

{Style} In the Navy


One of my greatest obsessions that has nothing to do with medicine is online shopping. During medical school, I didn't have time (or money) to actually go to the stores of my heart's desires, so I would peruse the online offerings of my favorite retailers. Now that I have a *tiny* bit of disposable income, the obsession has grown.

However, there are still some items out of my immediate reach, so for now I'm still relegated to lusting after them*. Currently, I'm not-so-secretly in love with the "Weekend Dress" from J. Crew. I've been on the lookout for a navy dress for some time, as a nice alternative to the seemingly endless stream of black and gray in my closet. What I like about this one are the texture and that it's similar to a shirtdress without being too deliberate (like having an exaggerated full skirt).

I'm also in love with taupe as a nice accent to navy. There's a pair of wedge heels from Target, Myka in Taupe, that would work nicely with this for everyday wear (but isn't yet available online, only in stores). For something a little more lofty, I also love the suede heels from Land's End Canvas in Maplewood.

I tend to keep accessories minimal, but since spring is a LONG way off where I live, a cardigan is a foregone conclusion. I have a great square scarf that would be a nice accent to a dress like this, but sometimes a dress just calls for jewelry. In this case, I plan on pairing a neutral cardigan with a longer necklace, to better elongate this dress. I love--and own--the Mesh Scarf Necklace in from J. Crew, and I recently bought a pair of similarly-finished drop earrings from Target to accompany it.

I still can't decide if it needs a real belt (the thin drawstring just isn't doing it for me), but I can't decide the type: skinny? Nah. Wide? Too deliberate. Multi-buckle? Hmm . . .

Okay, end of dream sequence.

Signed,

Majin, MD

*I am pleased to report that The Chemist has given me a J. Crew gift card for this very purchase for International Women's Day (so he says). It's things like this that make me appreciate the fact that he works for Russians, who love them some secular holidays. As you were.

No comments:

Post a Comment